Monday, November 13, 2006

Daily Meditation:

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
I think often times we believe what we hear. We take, for lack of a better word, it as gospel. Often we do not even run these things through our personal filters and mechanisms for knowing truth. Of course we have spoken of subjective truth and the dynamic nature of said truth. That which is right in the moment is not right in the future. I suppose that is the nature of the metaphor. What if it is not really a metaphor. What if it is a truthful situation and the tale is told the words are not understood and thus become a metaphor so we really do not have to understand what was being said or communicated. It is easier to say. Oh it is a metaphor instead of having to know what it truly means.
I say things all the time and then later I wonder what it is I said. People will say something I said and I do not even remember what it was I said. The context changes as well. Those things said in one situation do not apply to another and even in the same situation the words no longer apply the same way. It is like words are that flowing stream. It changes all the time. The words flow and change and evolve. Did you ever play that game where you say something and then the next person tells someone and then the next. How often does everything change? Does it ever come back correctly? We hear that often. Words we have spoken taken out of context or different meanings for the words we use. One technique used in counseling is to make a statement and have the other person repeat what was said or what they heard in order to assure the conveyance of ideas is accurate.
More to come... I hope if time allows.

No comments: