Thursday, November 01, 2007

Emotional Pain

I think the first time I was aware of this process was in high school I was going out with a girl from Holland who was here with her family for a short time. Very sweet girl. I found out she would be leaving to return to Holland before the end of the school year. I broke up with her shortly afterward. I did not want to have the future pain. That is the pain at that moment was less then I imagined the pain of the future to be.
I am thinking it is like delayed gratification but for emotional turmoil.

4 comments:

m said...

and by ending things early what did you miss? maybe something way cool. maybe something so cool that would have made her stay. you assumed the pain was inevitable, now or later, but maybe not. and what's the difference? me, I don't want to miss a moment. I don't know what lies ahead. I want the best for the right now as well as the hope for a brighter tomorrow. that's why you plant the happy seeds now to grow a brighter future. as dingy as I am, chances of walking in front of a bus this afternoon and not getting a tomorrow are pretty strong. Live in the moment, Boatman. Don't be scared buckaroo, hang on and go the whole 8 seconds instead of avoiding the bull because you might get thrown. If you don't jump on, you miss the ride. Now that is scary....and you don't get the big buckle...

m said...

and why live life if you aren't going to live life?

Douglas said...

Making a decision to do something is just as much living as anything else is.

What's to say that regret for that choice isn't better fuel for something happening now?

m said...

ok, gentlemen, so it is pain/time management? "it is going to end. It is going to hurt. So cut my losses now and refocus energy on something that has possibility of better outcome" ? I suppose I can buy that. Maybe easier to understand in matters other than the heart. But is it done out of fear or self-preservation?