Friday, February 08, 2008

Minds on Fire - OTA2008

Minds on Fire: Open Education, the Long Tail, and Learning 2.0 (EDUCAUSE Review) | EDUCAUSE CONNECT
I found this article in researching web 2.0 for the classroom. It contains a lot of the information covered in the keynote address at the conference. Once again we stand on the edge of something new in education. I have been in the classroom 10 years. Not really very much time. What changes in education have I seen? What proposals for changes in education have I seen? That is really the question. Change is addressed. Implemented? I am not so sure.
What is different today in the building then 10 years ago? I would say every teacher has a computer on their desk. It is a gradebook (some still keep the old spiral bound hard copy too), attendance taker, and communication tool with email. It is a research tool (Internet). It is a presentation tool (PowerPoint). It is a typewriter (Word). It is still a paperweight.

So, I am thinking my next project will be the creation of a template for my idea of the ideal online presence for a classroom educator. A few questions I posed to Wesley Fryer on his Speed of Creativity
What would an ideal teacher website contain?
How would it look?
What tools would be used to create the site?
Uniform across the district, state, nation?
How in the world is there time to create it?
How can it be “policed” by the instructor?
Who will train the teachers and when?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite the task. Good luck and keep us posted.