Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day

Today is Blog Action Day where bloggers "gather" together to discuss proverty. What is poverty? When does one live in poverty? Is it relative? Is there poverty of the physical as well as the poverty of the soul?
I am still impressed by the teacher who asked if being homeless was a choice. Would anyone choose to be homeless? Run out of choices we do what we have to do.
I think of the poorest county in America. Up in South Dakota, the President even came to visit. Choice?
I do not believe that people can even speak intelligently about poverty and social aliments if they come from dominate culture. The world view is too askew.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recently read that if your did not go to bed hungry, have a stable roof over your head, do not fear for safety and are in good health than you are doing better than 70% of the world. If you are reading this from your own computer, you are doing better than 90%. Don't know the accuracy of these statements (tried to find them again so I quote source but couldn't...)but if they are even close, they are humbling to say the least.

Poverty. Looking out at the rain today I will be grateful to be dry. To sit in dry pants and work on my computer. Blessed I am.

m

Happy Wednesday, Mr. Boatman. Grace to you.

Anonymous said...

try this for starters....

http://defeatpoverty.com/2008/02/is-world-getting-better.html

what we sometimes overlook is the perspective of wealth...."once upon a time" I thought I was poor....then once upon a time I thought I was "rich" ( like from "Rich Dad, Poor Dad"....
now I think I am extremely wealthy in the "meaningful" sense....

the perception of wealth in our society is changing....it better...
it has no choice....

"Once Upon a Time in America"....sounds like the title for a good book...

books? I started a new book about 1am...about 4 hours ago....and finished it about 10 minutes ago...
"Patriotic Grace"...try it...you may like it! ...bet you can't eat just one....

best wishes,
Namaste'
jj

Anonymous said...

ps...in the http article in my previous post, the "reference article" is contained in the first paragraph as "the article" in blue...click on it to get the the article where the stats in the
first article came from...confused now?
jj

Anonymous said...

True, Most of the homeless may not make a conscious choice to BE homeless.

The more pertinent question, though, is whether most EVER make a conscious choice NOT to be homeless.

There is a huge difference in these two choices.

Larry