Thursday, January 31, 2013

Ingress

I have been playing Ingress for about a month or so. It is great fun, well sort of fun, also very frustrating.

I am trying to figure out how best to approach the game. It is really something that takes a lot of time to excel at developing.
That perhaps is my largest deficit in that I do not have a lot of time to devote. I am lucky to hack a portal driving by. I have altered my travel routes to drive by portals.
Having time to meet up with others and hack together has yet to happen.

In OKC we are faced with the Enlightenment being much stronger and having vast control over the city. The Resistance is weaker and faces an uphill battle on every portal. There are however a few strong holds of the Resistance.

I finally created a field the other night and within about 4 hours it was destroyed. I am not sure if it is a good thing to create links and fields in the area. It gives the player much needed AP points but also calls attention to the portals and invites hacking. I do not know if it is possible to stay under the radar as it were of the green. It is just a matter of time for them to gang up and take over a portal.

Philosophically I would play the game differently. Getting everyone on that page would be difficult.
I think that if all the new L1 portals were captured by Level 1 or Level 2 players the portals could be built up slowly with new or low level folks developing those portals. Low level players would then be playing against each other building up skills and resources  The portals would not face a threat to high level players. When the high level players control the portals it does not give the opportunity for other players to gain knowledge and strength. Yes, I know this is against most game theory based on strength and supremacy but falls in line with the game theory of development and appeasement. Being self interested the game becomes somewhat stagnate. But then I am finding it difficult to not approach the game from developing the game self.
Using the field creation as an example, it develops the points for the player but in the end could have adverse effects on the other players being able to continue to develop the portal and area.

I am just not sure what approach is best. Or what course would be best to take and continue upon.


No comments: